The monster mash
February 12, 2013 § 2 Comments
It’s been pretty quiet for the past few weeks, thank goodness, since before that I was swamped with an awful cold/flu/both? that really sucked the life out of me for about two weeks in the middle of January. I was so sick that even picking up knitting needles seemed exhausting. Then of course I spent a few days trying to get organized before school started again, which it (ugggggh) has. However, I did accomplish a few of my goals for this year, or at least got moving on them.
First, I got all (ok, probably most) of my charity knitting done for the year. I made four monsters for the 600 Monsters Strong project on Ravelry. Actually, I technically made 5, but the first one was too short to make the grade. And it also wouldn’t fit in the priority mailing box I sent out today. Maybe it’ll be a baby gift or something? Or I might just keep it since it’s so cute.
Anyway, the monsters are all made from STASH YARN! One of the skeins even dates back to 2010. Some of them are made from fingering or sport-weight held double, which I really like for variegateds since it seems to blend the colors really well. The pattern is Iris the Gourmet Monster by Rebecca Danger, which you can purchase on Ravelry now – it was originally released as a kit, though perhaps it may still be available that way too, through Lorna’s Laces. There were a few mods to the pattern to meet 600 Monsters height requirements; I lengthened and widened the torsos though the limbs are still the same.
It seems silly, but while intellectually I understood that yarn is sold by weight, not length, for some reason it seemed like cheating to use the yarn held double. Then when faced with the option of buying yarn to knit monsters, or using up single skeins of variegated that are, frankly, perfect monster colors, I finally caved. Nothing like an idea working out well to inspire happiness and even more multiple-yarns projects; I’m knitting a cardigan with worsted held triple to make super-bulky.
I also got going on my scarf of the month project, though naturally I fell behind in January. Made from 100% British BFL wool, this scarf is really soft and hopefully going to meet my expectations, which are admittedly pretty high since it looks so good on the loom. (I say that because the last time I tried to weave, it went really well until it really, really didn’t, and I had to cut everything off the loom. We needed some space after that.) (Also I figured ou that using strips from a paper bag are what caused my warp to mess up, since the bits of paper on the bottom of the bag probably tangled the warp. This time I used brown craft paper from a roll, except not straight from the roll since it’s reused from its first life as packing materials from drugstore.com.)
The yarn is Posh Yarn Bonnie DK, in orange/tan, and Squeaky Elliot BFL DK in green. Both are from Wales, actually, now that I think about it, and both companies I found through Ravelry, which has been both a curse and a blessing for my stash!